Search engine optimization isn’t difficult. But, as with any well-honed craft, properly implemented SEO requires knowing which knobs to twist.
Here’s a list of SEO knobs that you can turn to make sure your website performs as well as possible on the search engines:
- Identify search terms that prospects are actually using to find your products and services
- Include those terms in the coding and text of all your web pages
- Install analytics coding on each page to track website usage, traffic sources and other useful information (Google Analytics is free)
- Add new pages based on those terms to your website
- Make sure to optimize the PDFs nd images on your website with the search terms you identified
- Write press releases based on those terms with links back to your website and post via a press release distribution site like prweb.com, prnewsire.com or 24-7pressrelease.com
- Create a corporate blog and post to it at least weekly – each post should focus on one of those search terms, with links to appropriate pages on your website
- Create a corporate channel on YouTube and post a video (with a link back to your website) once each month
- Create a corporate account on Slideshare and post a slideshow of sales and technical presentations once each month, with links back to related pages on your site
- Identify blogs where you can submit guest posts – submit one each month, again, with a link to your website
- Secure and create your company’s profile in the local/business sections of Yahoo, Bing and Google
- Secure and create your corporate profile on LinkedIn, Facebook nd Twitter
- Secure and create your corporate profile on other social media sites like Tumblr, Quora, FlickR and Squidoo
- Regularly post items to the social media sites that match the kind the content your company can provide
- Pay for links on business.com, Best of the Web and Yahoo directories
- Check your site’s search engine rankings at least once each quarter to indentify search terms that you need to work harder on
- Check your analytics every month to identify areas where you can improve your site’s usability
- At least once a year, check through your entire site for inaccuracies and correct them
There’s more work that can be done in gaining additional links back to your website and in researching your competitors’ SEO tactics, but the above list covers the essentials that will improve your search engine rankings and, as a result, the number of qualified leads generated by your website.
In a perfect world, you would have one staff member (or maybe even one-and-a-half or two staffers) to devote to search engine optimization. But we all know this world isn’t perfect, and sometimes you need a helping hand to achieve your goals.
If you’re ready to up the ante with your SEO but would like some assistance – make sure to contact us. We’ve been optimizing websites for a long time and can help you get the results your company needs.